Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Lent Challenge

Lent started today and so now is the time of year when everyone gives something up or does more of something. 

Lent is very important to me because I see the importance of the time leading up to Easter.  I don’t do New Year’s resolutions, but I will definitely participate in Lent. 

So, in honor of Lent, here’s a list of all of the things I will not be giving up:
  1. Coffee
  2. Chocolate Chip Cookies
  3. Brownies – except the corner pieces; I never liked those anyway
  4. Cadbury Crème Eggs – the 2nd most important reason for Easter
  5. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
  6. Facebook
  7. Instagram
  8. Naps
  9. Soft Drinks
  10. TV
Even though I’m not giving up any of those things, there is one thing I’m giving up and one thing I’m doing more of.  I’m giving up at least an hour of sleep and I’m doing more Bible reading. 

This is how it’s going down.

Every morning during Lent, I am going to wake up at least an hour earlier than normal so that I can participate in The Lent Challenge that’s going on at my church.  The challenge is to read the entire New Testament in 40 days.  My church has put together a list of daily readings that should take about 30 minutes to read each day and by the end of Lent, you will have read the entire New Testament. 

What I’m adding to the challenge is this:  Not only am I going to read the New Testament in 40 days, but I will also write about the daily readings.  The goal is to jot down some notes and ideas that I can later go back to and reflect on.  This will also help create a habit of daily Bible reading and journaling that I can continue long after Easter.

I invite you to take the same challenge.   After you read, post any thoughts in the comments, on facebook, or on twitter; use the hashtag #LentChallenge when you do.

Here’s a link to the church’s description of The Lent Challenge and where you can also download the reading list: http://www.egracechurch.com/lent.

I’m really excited and I hope you are, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment