Sunday, January 12, 2014

I Don't Make New Year's Resolutions, And You Shouldn't Either

Now that it’s not the first week of the New Year anymore, most of you that made New Year’s Resolutions have probably already broken them, and I know why; well, I know why I would have broken mine had I made one.

Every year it’s the same thing when it comes to New Year’s Resolutions.  You say to yourself, "I’m going to do more of this and/or less of that; and I’m going to follow through with it this year.  This year will be different, I can do it!" 

I haven’t made a New Year’s Resolution in a few years.  I haven’t for one simple reason; I’m lazy.  I know I’ll never follow through with any resolution, especially if I decide to start it on some arbitrary date.  With that being said, I have set plenty of goals and actually achieved a few of them.

But never have I made a resolution on January 1st and actually stuck to it.

I've never understood why people wait until January 1st to start on their resolution. 

If you have the thought in October that you should read more books, 
start reading more books. 

If you feel called to tithe more, but it’s only August, tithe more. 

If you want to go on a diet in September, don’t wait until January, go 
on a diet now. 

Actually, scratch that last one.  If you want to go on a diet, wait until January.  There’s a lot of good food going on in November and December, I mean A LOT!  You can wait until the New Year to start on a diet. 

But the others; start working on that stuff when you get the idea.  I can almost guarantee you had some brilliant idea sometime during last summer, but you've either forgotten about it by now or you've convinced yourself that it was a bad idea anyway.  Don’t shortchange yourself.  Go for it!

There are a million excuses that you can use to not start, stop, or change; don’t let the date on the calendar be one of those excuses.  We are all made in God’s image with very specific gifts and talents and He wants us to use those gifts and talents. 

If you don’t know what your gift or talent is, find out.  There are tons of books, quizzes, and questionnaires to help you figure it out.  Maybe that could be your next goal:  Figure out what your talent is. 

You have to start somewhere and sometime. 


How about here and now?

No comments:

Post a Comment