Monday, March 10, 2014

We Want To Be Celebrities

When I’m feeling down and I need a boost of self confidence, I go to my daughters’ school.

I feel like a rock star when I walk through those doors.  People screaming your name, giving high-fives, just wanting the chance to talk to you; it’s great!  

Now granted, these are 3, 4, and 5 year olds, but it still feels good to have all of that attention. 

I think if we’re being honest with ourselves, we all want that kind of attention.  We want to be recognized.  We want to be celebrities.

The difference though, is this kind of attention is shallow and isn't very helpful to us.  That’s not to say that we shouldn't acknowledge children and give them attention, but if we are seeking attention for ourselves this way, we are not doing anyone any favors.

When I think about how much many of us, including myself, crave attention and the need to be celebrated, I remind myself of the story of the prodigal son in Luke 15.  Not only did the father run to see his returning son, but he threw him a party.  Regardless of the things the son did, the father celebrated his son’s return.

The son was a celebrity in his father’s sight. 

That’s the kind of attention we should be craving.  Attention from our father, our Heavenly Father.  When we return to Him from the pig pen, He runs to us, He throws us a party; He treats us like a celebrity, because as far as He is concerned, we are celebrities.  We are His lost son or daughter and He wants to celebrate our safe return back to Him.

It’s never too late.  

Return to your Father and He will throw you a party.

No comments:

Post a Comment