Monday, July 28, 2014

There's A Lot To Be Learned From 4 Year Olds

Here’s a fun little story:

When I was a kid, probably about 4 years old, my eldest sister was taking a couple classes at a small, local college.  Every now and then, she would take me with her and I would hang out at the Union with her friends while she went to class.  One day while she was in class, her friends decided that it would be a good idea to have a vocabulary lesson with me. 

They thought it would be a good idea to teach me the “F” word. 

Great. 

So when my sister was done with class and came back to the Union to pick me up, I told her what I learned.  As any late teen to early twenty year old would do, she laughed hysterically.  After she laughed a while, she thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to tell my mom that I learned a new word.

When we got home, I went to my mom and told her, “I learned the “F” word today.”  Once she woke up after passing out, she asked me, “And what is the “F” word?”

So I told her.

It’s not important what her reaction was, but what is important is that she listened and heard what I had to say. 

We all should listen to our children and their stories.  My 4 year old daughter talks, a lot.  And I have to really focus on her and what she says because when I do, I am often surprised by what she says and most of the time it’s completely unexpected.

Just like when I was 4 years old and went home to tell my mom that the “F” word is “Fish”.

No comments:

Post a Comment