Monday, April 14, 2014

I Had A Talk With God, But He Didn't Say Much

I read a blog post the other day about how God speaks to us.  The author talked about how sometimes we want long dissertations from God, giving us full details about the next step we should take in our lives.  He pointed out that sometimes, God will say only a few words to us rather than give us detailed instructions.  The point is that God does speak to us, we just don’t always listen.

That’s what happened to me.  I was doing all of the talking and when I did decide to listen; I was listening for the wrong thing.  I finally decided to give up on listening FOR God and start listening TO God.

About 3 years ago, I hit a ceiling career-wise. I wasn’t getting any promotions or raises and we were up against some family decisions that depended on me advancing in my career.  I’ve been praying, and praying often.  Up until recently, I thought that God wasn’t speaking to me about what I should do. Now I realize that He was speaking to me the whole time.

He didn’t give me a 5-point list of things to do, or a 1,000 word report on how I should take my next steps.  He said one word.

“Wait”.

That’s all he said, “Wait.”

It wasn’t what I wanted to hear, so I wasn’t listening for it.

Now that some time has passed, things have changed and I have a MUCH better chance of advancing in my career.  All of our issues aren’t resolved, be we are in a much better place now.

Why?  Because I waited.

I waited for His timing and not my own.

Recently, someone reminded me of Isaiah 40:31:

But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength;
they shall mount up with wings as eagles;
they shall run, and not be weary;
and they shall walk, and not faint.

I think we all need to be reminded of this daily. 

Listen to God, trust in God.  Wait.

I think if you do, you’ll hear Him.

And when you do, you’ll find a new strength in Him. 

You’ll run and not grow weary. 

You’ll walk and not faint.

Sometimes God just wants us to wait.  It’ll all work out in the end.  Just trust Him and His timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment